Vendel, 2nd Quarter 2015 Exclusive Knit-along
Are you ready for another fabulous gradient handknit? Our upcoming second quarter knit-along pattern is brought to you by the talented M. K. Nance, whose patterns have appeared in Twist Collective and Sockupied, as well as here at Black Trillium Fibres. We'll be gearing up to knit Vendel, a shawl which draws its inspiration comes from pre-Viking era Swedish art history and metalurgy. This stunning shawl features fabulous traveling cables with a little bit of lace work. Knitted from the bottom up beginning with Nance's signature (and super easy) two-color cast on, the pattern has both written and charted instructions as well as clear guidance on when to change colors and how best to place stitch markers if you choose to use them.
For this KAL, I asked around on social media if anyone had color preferences and suggestions. The overwhelming majority called for bright, spring shades, and I've done my best to put together a selection of what I think will get everyone excited for new flowers and warmer weather (especially our friends in the Eastern US!). Click on any of the color variations below to be taken directly to the kit:
- Vendel KAL runs April 1st through June 30th, 2015
- Kits through the main product page include 1 paper copy of the pattern, and one Lilt Sock Gradient. These kits are dyed to order, please allow up to two weeks for shipping.
- You're welcome to use the Pattern Add-on Vendel and any Lilt Gradient color of your choice, but please don't use a Pebble Sock Gradient as you will not have enough yardage.
- In order to ensure your kit arrives before the beginning of the KAL, International orders need to be placed on or before March 15th, US orders must be placed on or before March 21st.
- You will also need to obtain separately a US 4 (or similar to obtain gauge) 32" circular needle. Stitch markers are also recommended.
- Questions, chatting and discussion will be held on Ravelry via the Vendel KAL thread. We have arranged for prizes again this KAL, so be sure to check out how to be eligible.
- Original sample shown in Sky. (If you're a Portlander and you see the designer out and about, she's wearing her version in Water Lilt Gradient).
- When in doubt, read everything and ask questions! If you need to get in touch, you can email us at service [at] blacktrilliumfibres [dot] com or through our contact page.
I've recently finished my cowl from our current KAL, Moire, and I want to share with you the extremely wearable result:
These KAL's are super fun, and I love seeing all the different results of everyone's color choices. I knit my Moire in a Rose Pebble Sock Gradient, and though I don't find myself often drawn to pink, the way this gradient moves from pink right into cool red and ends with dark rose red is quite fun and easy to wear.
Vendel Shawl photos courtesy M. K. Nance.