Summer is here, and so it is time to get thinking about our next exclusive knit-a-long!
The illustrious Alex Tinsley, designer behind Dull Roar, is a long-time friend and so I’m very excited to have one of her designs as our third quarter knitting project. We’ll get to use my newest yarn substrate, Sublime, in three colors to do some great striping and happy colorwork. If you’re ready for a break from shawls and socks, I’d say you better jump on board with us and knit a hat and cowl!
Sublime is a very soft 3-ply 100% Superwash Merino yarn that knits up as a lighter DK weight, making it the perfect texture for hats and cowls without having a high-stitch-per-inch gauge of sock weights or the bulkiness of a worsted. Alex took her colorwork inspiration from a quilting motif called Flying Geese. We collaborated on the color choices, preferring the Whimsical Solids to offer a more solid palette. The original design is knit in Flint 1 & 3, with Pacific 2 as the highlight. Two more combinations are available with the kit: Surf & Buckthorne; Truffle & Sprout.
This exclusive will be available as a kit via my shop. The kits are pre-orders, which means I will dye the yarn after you order your kit. I will start shipping kits in order for them to arrive before the KAL starts on July 1st. Please select a color combination from the drop-down menu. We are not offering custom color combos for this KAL.
From the Etsy listing:
Third Quarter 2014 Exclusive Knit-a-long. KAL runs July 1 to September 30.
- 1 paper pattern, Anserini Hat & Cowl by Alex Tinsley of Dull Roar, sample shown in Flint 1, 3 & Pacific 2
- 1 skein of the Main Color
- 1 skein of the Contrast Color 1
- 1/2 skein of the Contrast Color 2
- includes both written and charted instructions for both the hat and cowl
- Skills used: Knitting in the round, colorwork, decreasing, provisional cast on, kitchener stitch.
Items needed but not included in the kit: US 6 (4 mm) 16″ circular needle, US 6 DPNs, US 7 (4.5 mm) 16″ circular needle, stitch marker, darning needle, extra circular needle for working kitchener join
- Sublime DK, 100% Superwash Merino 3-ply DK weight
- kit includes 2.5 skeins (or 250 grams) total
- 6 sts per inch on US 5-6
- yarn is 260 yards per 100 grams, kit includes 260 yds each of 2 colors, and 130 yards of third color.
- Flint 1 & 3, full skeins each; Pacific 2, 1/2 skein
- Surf 1 & 3, full skeins each; Buckthorne 2, 1/2 skein
- Truffle 1 & 3, full skeins each; Sprout 2, 1/2 skein
Photos of knitted samples courtesy Alex Tinsley.